Job Vacancy Schlumberger South Africa
Schlumberger Water Services (SWS) specializes in assessing, developing and managing the world’s water resources using the most powerful and cost-effective technologies available today. The dedicated team of engineers, earth scientists and other technical specialists provides comprehensive assessments of surface water and groundwater resources, practical engineering solutions for water related projects, and an awareness of environmental and sustainability issues that are key to successful water resource management.
Capitalizing on Schlumberger’s global presence and support infrastructure, Schlumberger Water Services has successfully completed numerous projects on five continents, helping to meet future water demands in a wide variety of environments and applications.
Due to our expansion to the African continent, SWS requires a Principal Mining Hydrogeologist to support our fast growing mining client portfolio. The selected person is expected to be based in South Africa (Johannesburg or Cape Town) but would be required to travel to other countries as projects and client needs arise. The person is also expected to take a senior leadership role and may be considered for a future Operations Management position for SWS in South Africa. The successful candidate will report in to our Europe-Africa Operations base located in the UK.
Principal Mining Hydrogeologist
Other skills: detailed oriented, strong analytical skills, self starter, committed to clients, deadlines and budgets.
* At least 15 years of consulting experience in an international firm or equivalent experience in the industry
* BSc in Earth Sciences or related subject with MSc or PhD in Hydrogeology or associated relevant discipline
* Excellent presentation, communication and report writing skills (English)
* Expert in at least one consulting field and possesses recognized technical expertise
* 3D Modeling and simulation knowledge
* Field experience in drilling and installation of monitoring wells, piezometers or pumping wells.
* Field experiences in techniques of pumping tests and data acquisition
* Experience in performing and analyzing aquifer hydraulic tests
* Experience in design and construction of water wells
* Broad experience in Mining
* Fluency in English
The Principal Mining Hydrogeologist will be responsible for a wide range of company activities. Project work will be varied and the candidate will be required to have strong skills in applied hydrogeology and hydrology and will need to undertake and manage all aspects of site investigation programs including water resource investigations, mining hydrogeology, and environment impact assessments. The candidate will help company management in developing a strong SWS team, manage their deployment on projects and be actively involved in maintaining quality and focused technical outputs form the team. Strong technical, business development, commercial, interpersonal, presentation and reporting skills are therefore required.
The Principal Mining Hydrogeologist should be highly motivated to help develop the company and their own capability, skills and knowledge at a technical level and in the relevant regulatory frameworks.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
* Perform project management duties including preparing and negotiating contracts and subcontracts, developing budgets, determining project scope, establishing schedules, assigning project staff, approving invoices, and other duties required to ensure quality and profitability
* Manage a team of technical experts (Hydrogeologists, Geochemists, Groundwater Modellers, Project Engineers, and Field Technicians)
* Take a leading role in business development and client relationship management
* Prepare sound technical and commercial proposals
* Plan, execute, and supervise field programs for groundwater studies and Environmental Impact Assessments
* Undertake investigation and analysis of hydrogeological systems to provide practical and pragmatic solutions for our clients
* Make site visits, prepare and write technical reports, prepare proposals and presentations as necessary
* Provide professional hydrogeological support for a wide range of domestic and potentially, international projects
* Work with clients, business developers, and delivery teams to ensure that deliverables meet client needs and expectations
* Provide coaching and mentoring to junior level staff and Field Technicians
* Actively participate in Industry congresses presenting Papers and Case Studies
* Consistently adhere to internal company processes and policies such as budgeting, human resources, legal, risk management, etc
To apply for this position, please register on the Schlumberger Career website : http://careers.slb.com/. Once you have registered or if you already have an account, please log in and use the link below to go to the position: Principal Hydrogeologist