Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Job title Hydrographic Surveyor
Req ID 26272BR
Job category Subsurface
The Subsurface Technology Organisation (SST) provides BP Regions with the highest quality expert personnel for technical projects, as well as promoting and overseeing the development and application of new technologies. The business impact of SST is therefore profound, in immediate problem solving and the development and transfer of technology for future business benefit. Together with the Regional divisions, SST ensures that the application of technological innovation delivers “best-in-class” results while achieving BP’s commitment of no accidents, no harm to people, and no damage to the environment.
To meet its planned exploration, field development and production targets, BP wishes to appoint an experienced Hydrographic Surveyor to join SST’s Geophysical Operations, Survey and Geohazards Team in Sunbury, UK. The successful candidate will provide to BP’s Eastern Hemisphere Regions e.g Angola, Egypt, Middle East, the delivery of exceptional quality Survey and Positioning services in support of BP’s seismic, drilling and subsea construction activities.
As a member of the Survey Community within BP, you will have the opportunity to work within high-performing integrated teams in a dynamic and diverse environment where creativity and innovations are fostered and encouraged. You will have the opportunity to provide Survey & Positioning support throughout the life of an asset from access to decommissioning including:
- Definition of Co-ordinate Reference Systems for database and GIS projects
- Positioning for land and marine seismic acquisition
- Drilling rig location and well positioning assurance
- Development of positioning strategies and technical documentation for field development projects
- Surveying and positioning assurance for facilities installation.
Working as part of the BP Survey Community, the you will interact with a global network of technical staff and be exposed to state-of-the-art tools, methodologies and technologies. You will be expected to take responsibility for the Survey and Positioning aspects of your assigned projects and you will be committed to the achievement of the highest standards of HSSE performance for offshore survey operations activities
Typical Survey roles include advising BP Regions on their survey requirements and to manage all survey and positioning aspects of their operational activities i.e.
- Advise Regions on survey, navigation, positioning and subsea construction requirements.
- Develop and review technical documents for survey and positioning services, including acoustic positioning.
- Ensure that all necessary project specific technical elements are identified and thoroughly addressed.
- Provide technical input to solicit proposals, evaluate and select survey contractors as required.
- Evaluate survey contractor performance based on technical competency, Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) performance and overall quality control.
- Review and evaluate contractor positioning procedures, design and analysis, and equipment specifications and performance.
- Investigate and evaluate new survey equipment and systems relevant to specific project requirements.
- Work with survey contractors to ensure that both the surface and subsea positioning equipment and survey sensors proposed for use on a project will meet the technical objectives of the project.
- Monitor survey contractors and furnish essential offshore Quality Assurance/Quality Control support to ensure that the survey contractors are meeting contractual obligations and that they are performing at the required technical level.
- Manage and orchestrate positioning activities between installation contractors.
- Provide critical support in developing as-built survey documentation for projects, ensuring that data is collected and presented in a format consistent with current data management requirements. Actively promote GIS as medium for data management.
- Maintain a technical watch on survey technology and equipment.
- Actively participate in the BP Global Survey and Site Investigation Network.
- Occasional offshore travel will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Survey/Geomatics or higher level of education in a related field
Essential experience and job requirements
- A sound knowledge of acoustic positioning principles associated with subsea marine construction projects, including acoustic frequency management.
- Competency in project management relevant to survey operations including procurement, contract review and negotiation, and financial controls. A proven ability to prioritise and manage demands from multiple projects.
- Familiarity with HSSE management systems and can demonstrate a strong track record of managing survey projects that have fully compliant HSSE management systems.
- Excellent communications, time management and accounting skills.
- Fluent in English
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Sound knowledge of GIS.
- Membership of Professional Surveying Institution
To Apply Online, click : BP Career